Storing Dry Bulk Materials
- Store materials in an enclosed silo or building. Materials may include sand, gravel, clay, cement, fly ash, kiln dust, and gypsum.
- Cover material storage piles with a tarp or awning.
- Divert run on around storage areas using curbs, dikes, diversion swales or positive drainage away from the storage piles.
- Only store washed sand and gravel outdoors.
Handling Bulk Materials
- Use dust collection systems (e.g., bag houses) to collect airborne particles generated as a result of handling operations.
- Remove spilled material and settle dust from paved portions of the facility by shoveling and sweeping on a regular basis.
- Periodically clean material handling equipment and vehicles to remove accumulated dust and residue.
- Use dust collection systems (e.g., bag houses) to collect airborne particles generated as a result of mixing operations.
- Remove spilled material and settle dust from the mixing area by shoveling and sweeping on a regular basis.
- Clean exposed mixing equipment after mixing operations are complete.
- Install sediment basins, silt fence, vegetated filter strips, or other sediment removal measures downstream/downslope of material storage, handling and mixing areas.
Vehicle and Equipment Washing
- Designate vehicle and equipment wash areas that drain to recycle ponds or process wastewater treatment systems. Conduct vehicle-washing operation indoors or in a covered area.
- Train employees on proper procedure for washing vehicles and equipment including a discussion of the appropriate location for vehicle washing.
- Clean wash water residue from portions of the site that drain to storm water discharges.
Maintain dust collection system and baghouse. Properly remove and recycle or dispose of collected dust to minimize exposure of collected dust to the environment.
Pouring and Curing Pre-cast Concrete Products
Pour and cure precast products in a covered area. Clean forms before storing outdoors.
Numbers to Call for More Information
Department of Toxic Substances Control (hazardous waste questions) (818) 551-2800/2830 (Duty office) or (916) 324-1826
Regional Water Quality Control Board, Los Angeles Region (213) 266-7500
Check the phone book for your local wastewater treatment plant.
If you have questions about this fact sheet, please call (800) 974-9794