Working Together To Beautify LA


The City of Los Angeles, Board of Public Works, Office of Community Beautification (OCB) aims to “Keep Los Angeles Beautiful” and free of graffiti and litter.  To accomplish this, OCB provides graffiti removal services, clean up assistance and programs that empower the community to take action towards beautifying their neighborhood.

OCB encourages residents and community organizations to partner with them on the mission of beautifying LA and the results of these partnerships can be seen throughout the City.  In 2009-10, OCB in partnership with organizations and residents, have:

· Coordinated 355 clean up events, involving over 33,000 volunteers.

· Removed more than 32.7 million square feet of graffiti in 641,000 locations, and responded to 89,000 community requests for service. OCB contracts with community-based organizations to proactively monitor the major corridors for graffiti and to respond to graffiti removal requests.

· Completed 81 projects that helped to enhance schools, community gardens, and public right-of-ways.  Since 1998, OCB funded the completion of 1063 Citywide improvement projects.

· Adopted 17 baskets to keep the streets cleaned.

· Adopted 5 medians for enhancement purposes.

By partnering with residents and community organizations, OCB has made great strides toward beautifying Los Angeles. With more community commitment and involvement in the following OCB’s programs and services, the City can be transformed into a place that’s cleaner, greener and safer.


Residents can request for removal of graffiti by calling 3-1-1.  Approximately 20% of graffiti removed is reported by community members and the remaining 80% of graffiti removed is by contractors actively patrolling the major corridors of LA.


Community members can request for vines to be planted along walls that are continuously tagged.  The vines are a great way to deter graffiti and add greenery to the community. The applicant must agree to maintain and water the vines during the establishment period.


OCB provides tools, supplies and its services to help residents and community organizations plan their clean up event and make their event a success. Staff will deliver and pickup the tools.


Community groups are encouraged to adopt medians or parkways for purposes of planting and beauti

fying. OCB will help organizations obtain the appropriate department approvals and waive the associated permit fees on the condition that the organization maintains the improvement.


Community members can adopt a basket on the condition that the applicant agrees to maintain it. The baskets are intended for public space and commercial areas, and not for residential areas.


OCB continues to support community organizations working to implement their beautification projects.  Although the grant program is temporarily suspended, community organizations and residents can join OCB’s mailing list to receive updated information on the grant program and to receive information of other available grant opportunities. To be added to the mailing list, please send your contact information, including your email address, to [email protected].

Join OCB in fighting graffiti and beautifying all of LA.  For more information on the programs offered by the Office of Community Beautification, please check their website ( or contact OCB at (213) 978-0228.


Comments (2)

  1. Maggie Adrian
    May 19th, 2011 at 3:48 pm

    I am a new orgaizer for our local Neighborhood Watch. We are always looking for ways to improve our Watch area. Can you make any suggestions. Thank you.

Share Your Comments With Us

  • We’re on Facebook!

  • Featured Videos

    Ariel Art at Kids Ocean Day 2010