Three Rainwater Harvesting Workshops in Santa Monica

Are you thinking about installing rain barrels around your house? Or do you just want to learn more about rainwater harvesting, like how to reuse the water or a few safety tips? Well, the City of Los Angeles, along with the Cities of Pasadena and Santa Monica are having a few events that are right for you!

To be presented at the Santa Monica Rainwater Fair on Sunday, October 17, the American Rainwater Catchment Systems Association (ARCSA) will be hosting a one-day course on general rainwater harvesting. The session will provide an overview of rainwater harvesting history, methods of applications, including concepts and techniques for uses such as landscape irrigation and wildlife management. This event will be free of charge.

If you are busy on Sunday, there are also two advanced rainwater harvesting events (at a cost of $295 per workshop) to be held on October 18 & 19 by ARCSA at the Santa Monica Library. These courses will provide more in depth harvesting design and installation tips, out-door and in-home rainwater use ideas, as well as rules, regulations and much more!

To register for any of the aforementioned events, please visit: www.arcsa.org

*Photo courtesy of EcologicalGardens.com

FacebookTwitterPinterestEmailPrintShare

Comments (11)

1. Stacy
    November 29th, 2010 at 7:01 pm

It is very nice to see more events coming about for rain water harvesting. It is such a great thing to do. I also noticed that Santa Monica started a rebate program that will definitely hep with the cost.

• LA Stormwater
      November 29th, 2010 at 7:14 pm

Yes, anyone interested in Santa Monica Rainwater Harvesting can check out info here.

2. Mike Garcia
    December 22nd, 2010 at 11:33 am

Check out the above link for photos on how my 4000 gallon rainwater harvesting system is working with the recent storms!

• LA Stormwater
      December 22nd, 2010 at 11:44 am

Thanks for sharing Mike! A large rainwater harvesting system is great for capturing all the water from the recent storms.

3. judy garris
    February 10th, 2011 at 1:05 pm

I am 73 years old, I have been collecting rainwater from my roof in old clean garbage pails (but some leaked!). When they were flowing over, my elderly friend moved them so that I could replace it with another large empty container. I collected roof water from two spots filling milk and juice containers with the rainwater and in agood year had enough water for nearly a whole summer. I used the stored water rain water for all my patio plants and young ground plants plus edible greens and young tomato plants. After the first rains wash the roof and I store it for my patio nonedibles, I next collect cleaner rain for my younger edible plants. Older established plants take more water then I could handle so I need to deep water a few times in the summer. I also collect rinse water in a dish basin for the ornamental plants. I am sure that If I had a rainwater harvesting system, I could wate my plants and likely could water my orange and persimmon and native cherry trees all year. Unfortunately I am very low income and cannot afford the workshops and the labor although I would pay for parts.
    Now I find it is too much work. Will there ever be a program to assist people in obtaining or building roof rainwater harvesters? thanks for listenening, Judy Garris

• LA Stormwater
      February 10th, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Hi Judy! It’s great to hear that you are collecting rainwater and using that water for your plants! For the latest on what the City of LA is offering in regards to rainwater harvesting, please make sure to check out http://www.larainwaterharvesting.org/.

4. harvesting rain water
    May 15th, 2012 at 7:42 pm

It is good to see this happening in California. I just read an article that was saying it was illegal for California residents to harvest rain water. I am glad it is happening.

• LA Stormwater
      May 29th, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Jim! We’re curious about that article you mentioned saying that it was illegal for California residents to harvest rainwater. Could you send a link? We hope to see more rainwater harvesting in Los Angeles and throughout California in the years to come.

5. Reza lagzian
    September 13th, 2012 at 1:17 am

I am doing my master’s in watershed management in Iran.I am interested in urban watershed management for the subject of my thesis.Do you think it is a good subject?

• LA Stormwater
      September 13th, 2012 at 8:22 am

Absolutely, Reza! This is an excellent subject. If you are interested in speaking to someone with our program about what the City of Los Angeles is doing in the area of watershed management, please e-mail us at [email protected] and we’ll get you in touch with the appropriate person.

6. Reza lagzian
    September 18th, 2012 at 11:54 pm

I e-mailed to [email protected], but no one replied!!!

Share Your Comments With Us