Prepare for Wet Weather
At the beginning of every rainy season, the City of Los Angeles prepares its personnel, equipment and facilities for wet weather. We encourage you to do the same by following these tips to prepare your home, business and neighborhood for winter rains.
Before the Storm
- Review your flood insurance policy, ensuring that it provides adequate coverage for your property.
- Check your property, clearing all private drains and rain gutters and disposing of all trash and yard clippings/trimmings in your City-issued containers.
- If you have a rain barrel, check to make sure the downspouts are clear of debris and the connection is working properly. Be sure to remove the overflow drain cover.
- Cover toxic materials with tight-fitting lids and/or store them indoors and clean up any automotive leaks or spills.
- If possible, conduct your own mini-clean-up by picking up trash in your neighborhood.
- Report clogged catch basins in your neighborhood by calling the Los Angeles Stormwater Hotline at (800) 974-9794.
- If necessary, obtain sand bags. Contact the Los Angeles Fire Department to find the location nearest you.
During the Storm
- Stay away from storm drain channels and areas subject to sudden flooding.
- Stay away from downed power lines and electrical wires. Report downed electrical lines to the Department of Water and Power.
- Do not attempt to cross a flowing stream. Even shallow water can sweep you off your feet.
- Do not drive through flooded streets and avoid needless trips.
- Report flooded streets and clogged catch basins by calling the Los Angeles Stormwater Hotline at (800) 974-9794.
Slider photo courtesy of Ryan Vaarsi via Flickr.com/creativecommons.