Tips for Automotive Do-It-Yourselfers
When working on your car, it’s important to follow these environmental good housekeeping practices to keep your home, neighborhood and our local rivers, creeks and ocean pollutant free:
- Keep up car maintenance to reduce leakage of oil, antifreeze and other fluids.
- Recycle your used oil, oil filters, old batteries and unwanted fluids at a Los Angeles SAFE Center.
- When changing car fluids, use a drip pan to collect any spills. If a spill occurs, soak it up using an absorbent material such as kitty litter or sawdust and dispose of it properly.
- When changing your oil, use a clean container for used oil - don’t mix oil with other fluids.
- Wash your car with biodegradable soap using as little water as possible. Shut off the hose while washing your car and then rinse.
- Keep a trash bag in the car. Never throw trash out of your car window.