Tips for Automotive Business Owners
Implementing safe, environmental practices and procedures in your shop is simple and easy. It’s also the law. Here are a few tips to adopt in your business to keep Los Angeles’ communities and coastal waters healthy and free of automotive toxins and chemicals.
Clean up spills to keep your shop clean and in compliance with environmental regulations.
- Place drip pans underneath to capture fluids. Use absorbent cleaning agents instead of water to clean work areas.
- Clean up spills immediately and use dry methods (sweeping, absorbent materials) for spill cleanup. Follow your hazardous materials response plan, as filed with your local fire department or other hazardous waste materials authority and be sure that all employees are aware and capable of implementing each phase of the plan.
- Keep your liquid waste segregated. Many fluids can be recycled via hazardous waste disposal companies if they are not mixed.
- Store all materials under cover with spill containment or inside to prevent contamination of rainwater runoff.
- Recycle solvents, oil and used filters, anti-freeze, batteries, lubricants and metal filings. Contact a licensed hazardous waste hauler to dispose of saturated absorbents.
- When cleaning auto parts, scrape parts with a wire brush or use a bake oven rather than liquid cleaners. Arrange drip pans, drying racks and drain boards so that fluids are directed back into the sink. Never wash parts or equipment in a parking lot, driveway or street.
You may also want to download the Automobile Cleaning Practices poster for print ready information.