Benefits of Owning a Rain Barrel
The best part of having a rain barrel is the many benefits it will create for the environment and your pocketbook. Rain barrels help to:
- Protect our creeks, rivers and ocean. By capturing rainwater that falls on the roof, you are helping to reduce the amount of stormwater that flows into our local waterways. That small act can keep dangerous urban pollutants like pesticides, fertilizers, automotive fluids and pet waste out of the Pacific Ocean.
- Conserve water. A whopping amount of the potable water in Los Angeles is used for landscaping. Using rainwater to water your garden and trees is a great way to conserve H20.
- Save energy. A fifth of all the power generated in California goes into moving, treating and using water. If you use less water, less energy will be needed to move it to Southern California.
- Recharge underground aquifers. One of LA's long-term goals is to reduce its dependence on imported water. When you allow rainwater to infiltrate into permeable services like your lawn or garden, you help replenish local groundwater stores.
- Lower your water bill. Every time you don’t have to turn on the tap, you’re saving money on your water bill. Think of it as a gift from Mother Nature.