How LA Rolled Out The Barrels

When a program is 400% oversubscribed, you know you’ve got a winner. That’s what we found out over the last two years with the Rainwater Harvesting Pilot Program conducted by the Santa Monica Bay Restoration Commission, the California Coastal Conservancy and the City of Los Angeles Stormwater Program. In fact, we at LA Stormwater are so thrilled of the success of the program that we had to share the outcomes to keep the momentum of rain barrel installation going throughout the LA community.

As we hope to show here, it has been the eagerness and energy of early-adapting individuals and community groups who applied for grant funded barrel installation that have not only helped to gather important data on the benefits of rainwater harvesting for LA residents, but also act as living examples of these benefits to the media and their neighbors.

If you are harvesting rainwater at your home or you’re inspired by the program’s success and you have a plan to start, share your rainwater harvesting experience with us in the comment section below!

Comments (9)

1. Avatar for LA Stormwater
    Lisa
    January 10th, 2012 at 11:59 am

We participated in the program and we LOVE our rain barrel. We convinced 2 neighbors to sign up as well. Within a few months we were seeing signs pop up on lawns through-out our Culver City neighborhood, we also saw neighbors walk by our house & stop to read our sign and take down the information. It was a great program & now we are looking forward to installing more barrels on the other gutters on the house.

2. Avatar for LA Stormwater
    Grace
    February 27th, 2012 at 4:45 pm

We support rain water harvesting!
    We have dozen of 35gallon trash bin to correct water to use flash toilet and water yard. Last year I attend seminer and received rain barrel. Some of my friends would like to know how to join the seminer. We also, lean dry well, and it’s working very well, no more fladding my side pass. Thank you for your effort to give us great idea “what we can do!”

3. Avatar for LA Stormwater
    Tami
    August 14th, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Hi! I don’t see the link to your infographic. Is it still available somewhere?

LA Stormwater
      August 21st, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Hi Tami,
      Unfortunately, we don’t have the infographic available any longer. We apologize for the inconvenience. We’ll be sure to update that web page to remove that language.

4. Avatar for LA Stormwater
    Mary Hughes
    March 10th, 2014 at 3:51 pm

I received my rain barrel a few years ago through the LA Rain Barrel program. However, it is leaking from both of the hose bibs and I can’t seem to get it repaired. Any ideas of how to do this?

LA Stormwater
      March 12th, 2014 at 9:50 am

Hi Mary, Sorry to hear you’re having problems with your rain barrel. We recommend that you contact the company who installed the rain barrel. They would probably have some ideas on how to rectify the problem. Let us know if that doesn’t work out, and we’ll see if can get you in touch with someone else.

5. Avatar for LA Stormwater
    Mary Hughes
    March 10th, 2014 at 3:53 pm

I’ve tried to submit this several times, and it keeps telling me it is a duplicate, but I never posted before today

Share Your Comments With Us